Friday 13 February 2015

Nickodemus 'Wonderworld: 10 Years of Painting Outside The Lines' Review


Artist: Nickodemus

Title: Wonderworld:
10 Years of Painting Outside The lines

Label: Wonderwheel Recordings

Released: 24th February

Wonderworld is a mix cd featuring tracks released over the last 10 years by Nickodemus and friends. Although I have to wonder about the marketability of such an item in the current climate where dj mixes are readily available to stream in abundance, even from a chap whose Turntables on the Hudson parties feature esteemed guests such as Bonobo and Giles Peterson from here in the U.K. as well as high quality home grown talent Stateside. However, I'm a fan of the Wonderwheel output and Nickodemus especially, I find his productions a musical smorgasboard of latin, funk, afro-beat, dub, hip-hop and house that usually hits the spot fusing joys of the past with a modern twist.

Coming from this angle I found the mix contains a good number of classics from his three album releases. For me I really enjoyed the fact they are all there in one sitting and as I'm always plucking tracks from different sources when compiling a mix it's something I'd never have created. So on the other hand I'd imagine if your a lover of say Tito Puente, Baba Maal & Jurassic 5 or Thievery Corporation & Quantic but not familiar with Nickodemus or Wonderwheel it's a wonderful insight into their releases. Plus there's the added bonus of downloading the tracks featured individually in the price.

To summarise I really couldn't see myself buying a dj mix cd these days. But as files so easily disappear into the void those who still (like myself) keep the cream on cd with a selection such as this I really can't see any reason why not.

Review by Woodzee

Links:






No comments: