Sunday 2 October 2011

Whirl-Y-Gig's Monkey Pilot interview



Exclusive D.J. Interview - Richard Sutcliffe (Whirl-Y-Gig's "Monkey Pilot")


1) What does the Chinese symbol on the Whirl-y-Gig flyer mean?
.
It comes from the I Ching (Book of Changes) and represents "Disillusion", or the moment when illusion falls away, usually brief and often associated with song and dance. I interpret this as an experience of ordinary ecstacy, for example when we hear that special tune for the first time, and we are completely captivated and suspended in the song! Or that moment when our dance just happens at one with the music! I think we seek these experiences, and Whirl-y-Gig is an environment in which they become possible!

2) Where did the name Monkey Pilot come from?
.
Monkey Pilot was the title of a song by the Comsat Angels, from their first and classic album called "Waiting for a Miracle".

3) After all these years d.j.’ing where do you store all your music?
.
For many years we lived in a tiny one bedroom flat, and my vinyl occupied a wall in the living room which was stacked high with record boxes. For the last ten years we have lived in a small house in which I have a whole room the size of a large box room. I disappear into my "studio" for at least five long days every month to prepare my eight hour set. I have a four speaker system at eye and ear level, shelves of vinyl and drawers of CDs all up to the ceiling, and views out of a west facing window across Harrow cricket pitch towards the hills of Pinner and Grimsdyke.

4) Do you make or produce any music of your own?
.
There was a time when I completed a music technology course with Jose Gross, and subsequently remixed several tracks with Jose and also with Swordfish from Astralasia. Although it was very exciting to be part of the creative process, I found it required me to listen to music in an analytical way which was at odds with my more subjective dj ear, as was the huge amount of time and creative energy that music making requires, once again in competition with my dj self. I concluded that Monkey Pilot should stick to doing what he does best…..whirly dj!

5) Do you have an all time favourite track?
.
As a dj music enthusiast, I tend to be most excited by my latest discoveries, but in recent times I would probably choose "Tango ‘n’ Bass" by Emunah as most expressive of the amazing possibilities of whirl-y-music.

6) What would be your ultimate venue to hold Whirl-y-Gig at?
.
It was always my dream to take Whirl-y-Gig to the Roundhouse, as it was the original Roundhouse Implosions which provided the bedrock of inspiration that would ultimately manifest at Whirl-y-Gig. However, now that the Roundhouse has been so beautifully refurbished, I suspect this will remain just a dream!

No comments: